Saturday, September 6, 2014

Funny Business...seriously

Writers (may also appear as writer's) block, its the deadpan, dreaded monotone voice in your head denying your creative juices to flow through your pen! So today let's take it deep... (sings in Phantom of the Opera voice) "down we plunge to the prison of my mind!" *tosses aside mask and cape.* Are you laughing yet? Well that's all I had for theatrics for this post, but it ties nicely into what I am about to talk on.

Everyone touts their proven methods to cure this mental anguish. Chances are if you are reading this, you googled a cure because you have suffered or are currently suffering from this malady. Now here is the good news, I have the cure. In two words and three steps I will have your writer's block cleared, no problem. Unless you're manic depress, then get help...I know, I've been there; no one's judging.
First the two words: Funny Business.

Author definition: Funny Business (n. or v.): specifically meaning, but is not limited to, the act of having fun on the job particularly when one is drained, fatigued, stressed, or bored. Or has writers block.

If you are writing newspaper articles, scientific articles, business articles, scholarly articles, that boring term paper then you need funny business. All other articles will benefit from funny business, but its extremely beneficial to the serious type. Now for the three steps to clear your mind and refresh the little grey cells.

1. Sing
Think of the most happy childhood song you remember and start singing it. (If you are currently in childhood, you're too young to suffer from these problems, have a lollipop and play hopscotch, you have precious years left to enjoy.) Where was I, ahh yes, sing your song. This will prep your mind for the advent of renewal. Keep singing as you switch from writing to a different task to clear your mind of the problem.

2. Doodle
Try to draw your frustration out in a little meme. Mine usually makes me think of an angry rice ball...soon after that I get hungry and forget I had a problem to start with. You're doodle should be as simple as possible, make it comical and then sit back and laugh. You should be able to feel much better and happier.

If the singing didn't help you feel all that refreshed and the doodling left much to be desired, then you are in for a heavy hitter.

3. Google
This next step cannot be avoided if the first two haven't helped. You are to google "shocked anime face". That's right those three words in your search engine, right now. Or get creative and look for angry, mad, expressive anime faces. Scroll down and look at the expressions. Connect with them...see how they typify how you feel? Don't think 'ohh this is childish', please, politicians are childish; this is just plain necessity and its good clean fun. If you cant laugh at the emotion drawn maybe you should lighten up a bit. Just because you are looking at a freaked out animation style you didn't grow up with doesn't mean it can't help you. (Scroll down to see my writers block pictures)

So that's it. Seriously the best cure I have found so far and I have written everything. Journalism, fiction, poetry, term papers, business reports, press releases, scientific journal articles, fan fiction...I know that your writing project is sacred, and most likely serious...but you have to relax and get those endorphins swimming about your brain chemical again. Endorphins are what help you create and enjoy writing. So if all else fails, just have some funny business.

 When I realize I have a writer's block.
Me trying to empty my mind.


 

 
Staring at my project wishing it would write
itself.
 


 Me once I sign my child hood song. I normally don't have to go any further because it's such a conditioned response.

No comments:

Post a Comment