Thursday, September 18, 2014

To Publish or not to Publish...

Most people I know want to be writers. They think they want to be published and have a major contract and all the glory that goes with it. 
Pay attention to the operative word in that sentence...think. That's right, most people see the gold and glory and don't know what goes into it. Hours and hours of PAIN! It's like pregnancy except gestation can take years. The publishers are the doctors and your in full blown labor trying to get your baby out into the world. It's not fun. But ask any mother if it was worth it...
Now that you've been warned here is the good news. Go for it! Accept that it's a process that is not easy, be ready to make mistakes, be ready to embrace criticism, and be ready to stand on your own and still have the courage to move forward. 
Most authors (and some mothers) will tell you, "It's so hard- it's this- it's that." "Don't do it." I read 0 encouragements as an aspiring author months ago. 0. And dozens of painful, mean spirited articles about why I should give up. Because hundreds are like me and I am a poor writer because if I wasn't I would already be published. I was told by every word they wrote to give up. But I didn't. 
If you want to write and publish here is my advice. Don't let the negative, sorry stigma other have burden your own success. If they want to complain or quit let them, but don't you dare let go of something you believe in. Don't give up something you value because of someone else's thoughtless remarks. Authors are sensitive, we hurt easy. I half think the big ones that tell us newbies to be quiet are because they fear that we could compete with their books. It's a fair market, write better then me and I won't hold it against you, I will even buy your books.
So, don't let refusal letters, editors, authors, or anyone else tell you, you can't do it. Because the truth is, if you do it with all your might, you will succeed. 
Succeeding isn't a $1,000,000 contract, or a fan base that worships you. It's your book, your baby, finally making it out from the stereotyped womb of unworthiness to the light of individualism. 
Blog, get one reader and you've already proven people wrong. Because even if only one person reads your work, you touched one life. Sometimes the world focus too much on the big names like Nicholas Sparks, Stephan King, and Stephanie Meyers. Not that they aren't amazing, not that they don't have greatness; but there is greatness in you too. The same greatness that these people have is inside you in a unique form. Don't try and be them, it will only mask your true talent, you don't have to be or say anything that isn't 100% you. 

I don't make money from this blog, I am not trying to sell you something, I am only trying to undo the hurt that others may have caused you or someone you know. Don't be depressed. A single, true fan is better than the 100,000s people buy to look popular. Yes, people actually buy viewers to look like they are popular. 
So if you ever meet me on the street, conference, book signing, or anything; I will answer the question the same any day of the week. To publish or not to publish...my answers is: Publish. A blog, a book, a news article, whatever it is; publish and don't look back or be anything but you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment